Friday, June 22, 2007

 


Tuesday 5th June
Jon’s exam and return to the UK was imminent so he had a bit of work and revision to catch up on, as the weather was proving to be inclement I decided to brave taking the boys to the Postojnska caves on my own for the day. The day went well and I was glad I didn’t let the worry of getting lost deter me from going. The only option of seeing the caves is via a tour. It starts with a train ride, this was exhilarating for the children if somewhat apprehensive for myself with bits of rock rushing towards you disconcertingly close to the sides of the train and the heads of the people in it. I had to grab a few outstretched arms as they pointed to something of interest as it blurred past us. When you alight from the train there are language-based groups for the tour and typically the English group was the largest. Mindful of the children’s need to constantly ask questions, I kept them at the back whilst the guide delivered her spiel at the interesting places. I did manage to glean some interesting information to pass on to the boys who lapped it up. The walking pace however was far too quick for the boys to keep up and in the end I stopped trying to rush them to the next appropriate place, instead we meandered along at a pace that suited them and enabled them to ask questions, not to mention spot all the places where the baby cave bears would sleep. At one point we were plunged into darkness, which only sent Max into a mild panic, later the guide informed us that this was done so we could experience the true atmosphere inside of the cave, this being the complete lack of light and disorientation. What a great thing to do, pity there was a complete lack of warning! One of the highlights was the opportunity to see the amphibious fish that inhabit the caves in this region (they looked like Salamanders to me but they kept calling them amphibious fish, and in the end what do I know about it?). The boys enjoyed seeing these and talked about them for ages afterwards. The tour ends in the concert gallery and we were treated to a group of school children giving an impromptu singing session, which was quite lovely. We endured another speedy train journey back to the entrance and ran through the rain to the car.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?